Can you perform your duties when you are under stress and pressure?
Will you take the right action to lead in times of challenge?
The crew of the Memphis Belle only had one more mission to complete during World War II and they would be headed back to the United States as heroes. But their final mission would test their strength, relationships, and leadership.
The movie Memphis Belle
tells the heroic story of the B-17 bomber crew who completed 30 missions without losing a member. It teaches us that true leadership is about the action we take to do the right thing in the moments we experience. A wonderful story not only about the history of World War II, but about camaraderie and the human experiences which bring us together.Memphis Belle Companion Activities
will help students reflect on and discuss the true meaning of leadership while gaining an appreciation for the sacrifices of the members of our Armed Forces.
In order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie Memphis Belle
, which has a rating of PG-13 (thematic elements, some language and brief smoking images) and a run time of 1 hour and 50 minutes.WARNING:
This is a DEEP LEARNING lesson plan to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
The activities in this lesson will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS