SUMMARY.The Fixer Saving Startups from Death by Politics By Bradley Tusk
· What’s in it for me? Learn how one strategist helps start-ups take on the political establishment and win.
· Tusk’s early career taught him the importance of public relations and controlling the narrative.
· In political campaigns, you have to pick your enemy and target them ruthlessly.
· In its early days, Uber had to overcome powerful opposition to save its future.
· Tusk and Uber took on progressive New York mayor Bill de Blasio from an unexpected angle and won.
· Tusk’s work with Handy to reform benefits law showed how politics-as-usual can be hard to overcome.
· Start-ups ignore political risk at their peril.
· Regulators are ultimately political bodies that can be forced into change with the right tactics.
· Tusk considered a Bloomberg presidential run before the plan was abandoned to avoid accidentally helping Trump.
· Start-ups should think carefully about when and how to fight their political battles.
· Final summary