Do you play for love of the game?
Do you have the courage to be a good teammate even when it doesn't benefit you?The Mighty Ducks
is an action-packed story of Gordon Bombay, who became the coach of a rag-tag youth hockey team as part of a community service assignment. Bombay carried the guilt of quitting hockey as a young boy because he was taught that if you cannot win, then there is no point in playing.The Mighty Ducks Companion Activities
guides students to see how Gordon experienced a transformation. He discovered that a coach's real goal is to help the young people on his team understand that it is always best to play for the love of the game. Also, students discover that playing the game the right way and being a good teammate is really what makes you a winner.
In order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie The Mighty Ducks
, which has a rating of PG and a run time of 1 hour and 44 minutes.WARNING:
This is a DEEP LEARNING lesson plan to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
The activities in this lesson will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS