Oxford guide to English grammar
The book is trorough in its coverage but pays most attention to points that are of importance to intermediate and advanced learners of English, and to their teachers.
• The emphasis is on meanings and how they govern the choice of grammatical pattern.
• Each chapter starts with a summary which reviews the topic as a whole and shows readers where to find the particular information they need.
• Authentic texts are used to demonstrate features of discourse.
• Many single-sentence example are also authentic.
• Wherever it is helpful, examples are marked as formal or informal, literary or conversational.
• Dependable advice is give on the avoidance of non-standard and incorrect usage.