Have you ever felt like you suddenly had all the plans for your life ripped away from you?Soul Surfer Companion Activities
helps students extract lessons from the heroic story of Bethany Hamilton, who lost her arm during a shark attack. Already a talented surfer, Bethany refused to let the loss of her arm keep her from pursuing her dream. However, the greatest lesson that Bethany learned was that fulfillment not only comes from pursuing your own dreams, but inspiring others to chase their dreams as well.
Sometimes, we have to find a new path in life. Just like Bethany, we don't need easy...we just need possible.
*This lesson plan is intended to be used with the movie Soul Surfer
and not the book (although the book may be a good supplemental reference).
IIn order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie Soul Surfer
, which has a rating of PG and a run time of 1 hour and 46 minutes.WARNING
: These are DEEP LEARNING activities to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
These activities will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities to address social and emotional learning standards:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS