Like many youngsters, Jimmy Morris dreamed of making it to the big leagues one day.
But after some injuries and starting a family, chasing a childhood dream seemed like a silly thing to do. That is until the high school baseball players Jimmy coached challenged him to do exactly what he tried to tell them to do every day. Jimmy leaves his job and his family for a shot to pitch in Major League Baseball but he nearly quits when he seems destined to wallow in the minor leagues.
Jimmy's love for the game and his desire to be a lighthouse to his own children and his high school baseball team pushes him to keep going. The Rookie
is a film based on a true story and can inspire us to take action to pursue our dreams in our own lives.The Rookie: Companion Activities
extracts important lessons from the movie which shows it's never too late to go after your dreams. We also discover when we figure out what we are meant to do in our lives it can help heal old wounds and mend broken relationships.
In order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie The Rookie
, which has a rating of G and a run time of 2 hours and 8 minutes.WARNING:
This is a DEEP LEARNING lesson plan to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
The activities in this lesson will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS