Do you have something from your past which affects your mindset and behavior?
Is there a way for God to take your burdens and help you rise above them?
Louis Zamperini thought his worst days were behind him when he returned home after spending 3 years in Japanese prisoner of war camps during World War II. But he couldn't shake the thoughts, feelings, and emotions about the abuse he suffered which continued to haunt him. Terrorized by nightmares of his attackers, Louis turned to alcohol to numb his pain and his desire for revenge nearly caused him to lose his family.
The movie Unbroken: Path to Redemption
tells the second half of Louis Zamperini's amazing story. Based on the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, it shows us how Zamperini is eventually saved when his wife takes him to hear a young preacher named Billy Graham speak. Louis is transformed by God's healing power and begins to fulfill a promise he had made many years before: to serve God with the life he was given.Unbroken: Path to Redemption Companion Activities
will help students learn the importance of surrendering our fears and worries to God and letting Him help us rise above our pain so we can forgive our enemies.
In order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie Unbroken: Path to Redemption
, which has a rating of PG-13 (war violence including intense sequences of brutality, and for brief language) and a run time of 1 hour and 38 minutes.WARNING:
This is a DEEP LEARNING lesson plan to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
The activities in this lesson will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS