Chasm Shawlette Knitting Pattern
This product is a digital download knitting pattern. It is not a physical product. A low vision format is included with 24 point sans serif black text and fully written instructions.
Glacier fields are a source of the most unexpected and vibrant colour in nature. Deep crevasses form that extend beneath the white snowy surface, where the layers of dense ice below appear vivid aqua blue.
Chasm is a crescent shawlette knit in bulky weight, extrafine merino with allover lace evocative of the meandering lines and striking colours found in glaciers. This pattern was designed in collaboration with Seismic Yarn & Dyeworks - Seismic Butter Bulky is a buttery soft, extrafine superwash merino. The colourway “Winter is Here” combines shades of cool grey and vibrant icy blue that perfectly match the inspiration for this snuggly soft shawlette.
The pattern provides both written and charted instructions. This piece is knit flat on a circular needle using the Garter Tab Cast On - a video tutorial on this technique can be found here: https://youtu.be/gZolH0YAgYs . The stitch count is increased by four on each right side row and two on each wrong side row to form a wide crescent shape, starting from the centre top. Optional buttons at each tip allow the shawlette to be wrapped snug around the neck and worn as a cozy cowl.
Low-vision version of this pattern is formatted with: black text
font 22 - 24 points
sans serif font (like Arial)
fully written directions (no charts)
Seismic Yarns Butter Bulky (Bulky weight,100% extra fine superwash merino wool; 109yds/100m per 3.5oz/100g skein); 2 skeins
Sample uses 219 yards / 200 metres in colourway “Winter Is Here”
US 11 / 8 mm 32” / 80 cm (or longer) circular
two 1” / 2.5 cm buttons (optional)
Image descriptions: 1. A composite of images #2 and 4.
2. From behind, Nicky stretching a crescent shawlette in blue and grey bulky hand dyed yarn with zig zag lace detail, across her shoulders, standing in front of a lake .
3. A close up of zig zag lace on garter background, knit in bulky blue and grey hand dyed yarn.
4. Nicky modelling the shawlette buttoned around her neck with two blue buttons to make a cowl.
5. A hank and a cake of bulky blue and grey hand dyed yarn.
6. A girl with brown hair smiling in a garden, modelling the shawlette draped around her neck.
Special thanks to Seismic Yarn for supplying this gorgeous yarn, my wonderful tech editor Frauke Urban, and my fabulous test knitters.