Everyone wants to win.
However, sometimes the stress of winning causes us to break.
But it also exposes the character we possess and give us an opportunity to strengthen that character. When the Game Stands Tall
tells the true story of the De La Salle high school football team in California and its 151 game winning streak. When the Game Stands Tall Companion Activities
helps students focus on the role of leadership on a team, the struggles of being a teenager, parent-child relationships, and living by principles. There are many lessons to learn from this truly inspirational story!
In order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie When the Game Stands Tall
, which has a rating of PG and a run time of 1 hour and 55 minutes.WARNING:
These are DEEP LEARNING activities to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
These activities will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities to address social and emotional learning standards:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS