Our #1 Seller!
It's not easy to turn a losing basketball team into winners. But Coach Ken Carter discovered winning on the scoreboard was the easiest part of his job.Coach Carter
is based on the true story of Ken Carter, who took over as the high school basketball coach of the inner-city Richmond Oilers. Carter used discipline and high standards in an effort to teach the young men he worked with how to win in life, as well as on the basketball court. Coach Carter Companion Activities
addresses that high school students often have many issues in their lives that they bring to school and the gym. Therefore, a coach's job is much more than just being an instructor of skills and a player's true reward is much more than a trophy.
In order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie Coach Carter
, which has a rating of PG-13 for violence, sexual content, language, teen partying and some drug material and a run time 2 hours and 16 minutes.WARNING:
These are DEEP LEARNING activities to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
These activities will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities to address social and emotional learning standards:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS