Tide Turning Pullover
Turn of the Tide is one of Yanni’s earlier compositions – a melody that presents the interplay of soft waves and raging storms that the sea bestows. And so, the cables in Tide Turning present calm, straight lines that twist and turn before they once again become tranquil.
Tide Turning is a saddle-shoulder pullover worked from the top down. The saddle cable pattern extends all the way down the sleeves to the cuffs; the body is worked in Stockinette stitch.
This top-down, saddle-shoulder pullover begins by knitting the two cabled saddles. Live saddle sts are placed on hold. Sts are picked up along the long edges of the saddles and, after shaping the shoulders using short rows, the back is worked to the bottom of the armholes where sts are placed on hold. Sts are then picked up along the opposite long edge of the saddles and, after shaping each front separately to create the neckline, the front is worked to the bottom of the armholes. Work is then joined in the rnd to complete the lower body which ends in a 1x1 ribbed band. After picking up sts around the armhole, incorporating the live saddle sts, the sleeve caps are shaped using short rows. Sleeves are worked down to the cuff with decreases worked at the underarm. The sleeve cuffs are also worked in 1x1 rib. Finally, sts are picked up around the neckline which is finished in a 1x1 ribbed crew neck. All ribbings are finished with a tubular bind off.
Right and left are referenced as the garment is worn.
The pattern is written for intermediate knitters who can follow ‘continue in pattern’ directions with ease.
Both charts and written directions for charts are provided. A picture tutorial for the Tubular Bind Off is included.
Finished Chest Circumference: 36 (38, 40, 42) [44, 46, 48] (50, 52, 54)” / 91.5 (96.5, 101.5, 106.5) [112, 117, 122] (127, 132, 137)cm.
1097 (1189, 1303, 1410) [1501, 1600, 1669] (1737, 1813, 1882)yds / 1003 (1087, 1191, 1289) [1373, 1463, 1526] (1588, 1658, 1721)m. in Sport weight
3.5mm / US4 or size required to obtain gauge.
3mm / US3 or two sizes smaller than gauge needle.
• 24” / 60cm circular needle for first 4 sizes OR 32” / 80cm for remaining sizes, for body.
• For sleeves: set of 5 DPN, OR 2 circulars 24” / 60cm or longer for Two Circular Needle Method, OR 1 circular 32” / 80cm or longer for Magic Loop Method.
3.5mm / US4 or smaller circular needle (spare needle):
• 32” / 80cm or longer.
3mm / US3 or two sizes smaller than gauge needle:
• For bottom ribbing: 24” / 60cm circular for first 4 sizes OR 32” / 80cm circular for remaining sizes.
• For cuffs: set of 5 DPN, OR 2 circulars 24” / 60cm or longer for Two Circular Needle Method, OR 1 circular 32” / 80cm or longer for Magic Loop Method.
• For neckband: set of 5 DPN, OR 16” / 40cm circular needle, OR 2 circulars 24” / 60cm or longer for Two Circular Needle Method, OR 1 circular 32” / 80cm or longer for Magic Loop Method.
24 stitches and 28 rows = 4 inches in Stockinette stitch, in the round, blocked
Cable needle, stitch markers, stitch holders or waste yarn, tapestry needle.
Tech Editing: RedSquirrel; FirSprite.
Charting Software: Stitchmastery.
Pattern Updates: Be sure to enter your email address during check out to receive any pattern updates.
To our EU customers: Please check the "Send me product updates & offers" checkbox displayed during checkout to receive any future updates for this pattern.