Is it okay to break the rules...rules that promote stereotyping and racism?
Can a team of basketball players discover they have what it takes to be victors rather than victims?
Don Haskins broke stereotypes and racial barriers in the 1960's when he built his Texas Western basketball team with the best players he could find...no matter their skin color. Glory Road
shows how Haskins' team faced mounting tension and pressure as winning games brought them into the spotlight. Both Coach Haskins and the players had to first learn how to win on the inside in order to make their winning on the court worth the struggle. Glory Road Companion Activities
helps students look inside themselves to discover how they view themselves as well as the perspectives they have toward others. This story is full of action, courage, and heart...exactly the things we need if we want to be a winner!
In order to complete these activities students will need to watch the movie Glory Road
, which has a rating of PG and a run time of 1 hour and 58 minutes.WARNING:
This is a DEEP LEARNING lesson plan to help students employ a LEADERSHIP approach to SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING.
The activities in this lesson will challenge students to move closer to mastery in the following skills: leadership, cooperation with others, creativity, critical thinking, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and judgment and decision making.
Each of our Companion Activities lesson plans includes the following activities:
- Reflection: allows students to journal about one of the movie's themes prior to watching.
- Analysis: questions and prompts to analyze the characters, plot, and climax of the movie.
- Practice & Discussion: a partner/group activity that takes the principles of the movie and asks students to take action and grow in their own lives.
- Extension: a RAFT (Role-Audience-Format-Topic) writing prompt to help students apply their new knowledge.
- Lead for Impact: challenges students to pinpoint how the hero of the story exhibited The 12 Fundamentals of Success and then synthesize how they can apply the lessons to writing their own story.
This product is also part of the following bundles:Building Champions: Mega Bundle Access to ALL our Movie Companion ActivitiesClick Here to return to LESSON PLANS