The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
Edit Your Story Like a Professional… without going broke paying for one!In this step-by-step, DIY editing guide, you’ll learn how to edit your messy first draft into a shiny, polished manuscript that’s ready to send off to agents, editors, and publishers. You'll learn how to:
- Shape your story
- Tighten your scenes
- Perfect your prose
- And become your own best editor in the process
Includes everything you need to edit your story from start to finish:
- 400 meaty pages broken into five intuitive sections
- Pre-editing section helps you get organized before you start revising
- Story-level section walks you through revising your characters, assessing your point of view, developing your theme, fixing your plot, and strengthening your setting
- Scene-level section teaches you when to keep, cut, revise, or combine scenes, and how to strengthen your action, dialogue, summary, flashbacks, description, pacing, and more
- Sentence-level section shows you how to polish your prose to a shine, including cutting repetition, smoothing transitions, de-cluttering, and a ton more
- Post-editing section gives you a post-revision roadmap
- ...plus lots of BONUS MATERIALS like worksheets, templates, checklists, and more!
What readers are saying:"This book is changing my life and transforming my manuscript. There's elements of narrative structure I've never understood like I do now."
"It’s an incredibly thorough reference book on developmental editing, chalk full of examples and told in the same easy manner as her blog."
"I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to up their writing game and has never learned to edit."
What's Inside? Take a Peek...Table of Contents
Chapter 3: Sizing Up Your Manuscript
Chapter 23: Avoiding Ambiguity