This pattern contains instructions for three sizes, ranging from child to adult. The hat pictured is in the largest size. A photo tutorial on how to work the braid is included.
The Kanta Hat is started with a provisional cast-on. Other techniques used consist of short rows, mid-row bind off and cast-on of stitches, and a 3-needle bind off. The eye-catching braid does not involve cable knitting.
Stitches used include knit, purl and slipping stitches. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
To fit size: 45 (53, 61) cm / 17 ¾ (20 ¾, 24) inches.
Finished size: 40 (48, 56) cm / 15 ¾ (19, 22) inches circumference, after washing and gentle blocking.
When choosing your hat size, take 2.5 – 5 cm (1 – 2 inches) of negative ease into account for a fitted hat. For a more slouchy fit, take approx. 0 – 2.5 cm (0 – 1 inch) of positive ease into account.
- Gauge: approx. 13 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over garter stitch, after washing and gentle blocking.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
- Yarn: 65 (95, 125) m (70 (105, 140) yds) / 65 (95, 125) g Garnstudio DROPS Andes [65% wool, 35% alpaca; 100 m (109 yds) per 100 g]. Substitute any wool or wool-blend super bulky weight yarn for a similar result.
- Knitting needles in your preferred style in the following sizes (or to match gauge): Size 5 mm (US 8) needles, and an extra size 5 mm (US 8) needle for working the 3-needle bind off.
- Waste yarn for provisional cast-on
- Yarn needle
- 1 stitch marker
- 1 button with a diameter of approx. 4.5 cm (1 ¾ inch)
- 1 crochet hook in size 8 mm (US L) (optional, for braiding)