USA coach Terry Pettit is a legend in US coaching circles not just for his success at the University of Nebraska where he built a powerhouse, but also for his work since then in helping coaches develop and grow. Among other things, he is known as perhaps the only poet-coach in volleyball, and his writings present a unique view on coaching and leadership.
His resume includes:
- Nearly 700 NCAA Division I victories
- Winner of over 20 conferences championships, six trips to the Final 4, two runners-up finishes, and a national championship.
- 3-time AVCA National Coach of the Year and 9-time conference Coach of the Year
- 2004 USA Volleyball All-Time Great Coaches Award winner
- AVCA Hall of Fame Inductee
- Author of Talent and the Secret Life of Teams; The Journey to Extraordinary Coaching; and A FreshSeason - Insights Into Coaching, Leadership and Volleyball
Here's some of what Terry discusses in his interview:
- Recruiting philosophy
- Developing volleyball in Nebraska
- Situational coaching
- Developing problem-solving situations rather than telling
- Exercising both the cooperative and competitive sides