Get 20% off this pattern when you »sign up to my newsletter<<OrGet this pattern for FREE when you purchase a kit from Under the Olive Tree Knits. Click here for more details.
I think that hand knit socks are the equivalent of giving your feet some flowers! Our feet serve us well every day so why not treat them to the softest and cosiest socks? With gentle, sweeping faux cables that bloom like leaves from a central spine of zig zagging stitches the Bud and Blossom socks make the perfect gift for feet that need a little love.
Starting at the cuff, the cascading ‘cables’ decorate the leg with a pattern that is satisfying to work. Each pattern repeat is worked over 8 rounds, so you can easily customise the length of your sock to preference. The heel flap is knit in an eye of partridge stitch for extra strength and then the socks are gusseted for a cozy and comfortable fit.
As you continue onto the foot, the final two curves blossom out to hug and decorate the foot with extra eyelets. The final flourish comes as a new spring of eyelets shoot out to form a diamond-shaped bud, encasing a pretty floral motif.
Bud and Blossom is available in 3 adult sizes, and video tutorials are provided for the stitches and techniques used to make the socks. Skills / Techniques Used
– Knit, purl, slip stitch, short rows, increases and decreases Sizes and Measurements
Hand-knit socks are designed to be slightly smaller than your foot to give a small amount of negative ease. This means that they will hug the foot and leg and stay in place. The sizes given are ‘to fit’ sizes.
This pattern has adult sizes in small, medium and large. Instructions are provided in the pattern on how to measure your foot to determine the correct size to knit.
- Small Adult - 8” / 20.5cm foot circumference and at least 9” / 23cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
- Medium Adult - 9” / 23cm foot circumference and at least 10” / 25.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
- Large Adult - 9.75” / 25cm foot circumference and at least 10.25” / 26cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
The size shown in the pattern photographs is Small Adult.Materials Used
When choosing the yarn for your socks you want to be looking for a yarn with nylon content or a high twist as this adds extra durability and strength.
- 32 sts and 44 rnds to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch after blocking