Hook Your Audience (volume 1) PDF ebook
If you work as an informal educator in a visitor attraction or outreach organisation this is the challenge you face every day. Without being able to win and keep the attention of your audience, all of your other objectives are impossible to achieve.
Hook Your Audience is a toolkit of performance techniques to emotionally engage child and family audiences in interactive, educational presentations. Its main purpose is to encourage you to reflect more deeply on exactly how you hook your learners using engagement techniques. Many of these hooks are borrowed from other professional performers, such as magicians, stand-ups, street performers and actors.
The toolkit explores issues, such as:
- how to use your personality to connect with audiences;
- how to make your crafted presentations appear spontaneous;
- how to maintain your enthusiasm when delivering the same content for the 537th time;
- how to coax volunteers from a teenage audience who seem glued to their seats;
- how to create humour, even if you feel you aren't naturally funny.
- explains the principles behind the tools;
- curates hundreds of engagement hooks for you to consider implementing;
- illustrates many of these hooks with examples;
- shares quotations to stimulate reflection;
- summarises the key ideas at the end of each tool; and
- includes a glossary of the performing terminology.
Paul McCrory runs HOOK training ltd, a company devoted to helping educators engage their learners. His approach combines interactive performance techniques and psychology. He has spent over 20 years working as an informal science educator and trainer in the UK, Ireland and internationally. The most interesting thing about Paul is that he has a PhD in being interesting. Find out more at hooktraining.com