Both written and charted instructions for the cable patterning are included in this pattern. Directions for the central cable section and plain stockinette sections are written separately and must be read together to work each row.
Directions for central cable section and plain stockinette / increase section are written separately and must be read together to work each row. The Winding Grape shawl starts with a garter tab cast-on. Stitches used include various cables, knit, purl, as well as right and left lifted regular and purl increases. This pattern is therefor suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and measurements
One size: Wingspan of 215 cm (84 ½ inches) and a depth of 75 cm (29 ½ inches), measured after blocking.
Adjust the sizing by using a different weight yarn and/or working a different number of repeats of the body pattern or the border. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.
- Worked flat from the top down.
- Written for a gauge of 8 sts / 13 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over stockinette measured after blocking. However, gauge is not critical in this design.
- Pattern language: English.
- Digital PDF has 5 pages (letter size)
525 m (572 yds) Garnstudio Drops Andes (65% Wool, 35% Alpaca; 100 m (109 yds) / 100 g) in 4301 Purple. Please note that slightly different weights are available of this yarn. The one used for the sample shawl pictured is described above.
Substitute a solid-color super bulky weight wool yarn of similar thickness for a similar result or try double or triple stranding DK or worsted weight wool yarn.
- Size 8 mm (US 11) / 100 cm (40 inches) circular needles. Choose a needle size appropriate for the yarn selected.
- Yarn needle.
- Cable needle.
- 4 stitch markers.