May peace be widespread, may the sea glisten like greenstone, and may the shimmer of light guide you on your way. Maori Proverb
In typical Dreamer Fibre Muse fashion, the yarn served as a strong influence for this design. The soft and quiet blues and whites gave me the image of a tranquil lake on a still winter’s day, after a light snowfall, as sunlight beams danced across the surface. Marino was created to reflect that stillness, and breathtaking beauty, with simple eyelet stitches falling down upon the softly waving ripples of the seafoam stitch. The hints of sparkle in the yarn add in an elegant and eye-catching charm that catch the little bits of sunlight.
Let your Dreamer Fibre Muse’s imagination soar through the colors you choose to work with. Picture the scene and the mood you want to express. Maybe you will recreate a peaceful autumn’s day, with tree leaves shifting colors from green to red. Or a field of sunflowers with sunny yellows and oranges. Or perhaps the first bloom of spring, in pinks and greens. Quite possibly your inner Muse will want to recreate the night sky - a supernova of colors and a swirl of stars.
The construction of the wrap may look confusing at first, but it’s a play on traditional shawl shaping. The piece starts like a top-down triangular shawl, until the desired width, then worked in a bias rectangular fashion so that it grows length-wise while still keeping the same width. Once the wrap has reached the desired length, each side of the piece is worked separately for the tips so that the final shape is a rectangle.
- 730 yd./667 m - 810 yd./740 m in C1, 170 yd./155 m - 183 yd./167 m in C2
- Fingering/4-ply This is an nice elastic yarn with some good strength. The Stellina adds beautiful sparkle to the project.
- Fibre Art Studio SW Merino Nylon Stellina (75% Superwash Merino Wool, 20% Nylon, 5% Stellina; 100 g; 438 yd./400 m). 2 skeins in Ice on Lake, 1 skein in Mermaid’s Tail.
US 5 (3.75 mm) size or size needed to obtain gauge, 24-in./60 cm circular needle.
- 20 sts and 40 rows over 4 in./10 cm in garter stitch in US 5 (3.75 mm) and after blocking.
- Gauge is not crucial to this project, but varying gauges will affect yardage and final measurements.
- Stitch markers
- Darning/tapestry needle
- Length can be easily adjusted by adding in more repeats during the body section.
- Sample project size: Width: 16 in./40.5 cm; Length: 80 in./203 cm