Get 20% off this pattern when you »sign up to my newsletter<<OrGet this pattern for free when you purchase a kit for this design! Click here for more information.
Even the greyest day becomes a celebration when you wear your Paper Lanterns shawl! The asymmetric triangle features stripes of tiny lanterns dancing across it. The shawl can be worked in just two colours or as many as you’d like. Choose a bright and bold or soft and subtle colour palette to suit your style. This is also a great chance to use up bits of leftover yarn.
The shawl is worked by alternating colours every 4 rows, so you are only dealing with one colour at a time. The easy-to-work, easy-to-memorize dip stitch is fun to work and you don’t have to worry about weaving in the ends for each stripe; they each get their own bit of fringe along the edge!
Video tutorials are provided for all stitches used, including working the 4 rows of the Dip Stitch pattern and for making the tassels at the end.
Build your own kit for this pattern! Click HERE
for more details.Skills / Techniques Used
– Knit, purl, dip stitch, cabling without a cable needle, increases, decreasesSizes
- One size fits allMeasurements
- The finished blocked item measures 70” (178cm) wingspan and 20” (51cm) depth at the longest partMaterials
- Yarn A – 3.5oz / 100g, 440yd / 400m 4 ply or fingering weight yarn. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree, 100% Superwash Merino in the Seafoam colour (1 skein)
- Contrast Yarns B, C, D and E - 0.7oz / 20g - 92yd / 85m The yarns used in the pattern pictures are Under the Olive Tree Mini Skeins, 75% Superwash Merino Wool 25% Nylon in: Fruit Punch (A) Seashell (B) Golden Hour (C) and Midnight in Paris (D)
- US size 5 (3.75mm) 32” (80cm) circular needle
- 1 tapestry needle for weaving in the ends
- Pins or wires for blocking
For the Tassels
- A small piece of cardboard
- A 4mm (or close size) crochet hook
The pattern is written and charted and has been professionally tech edited and test knit.