Get 20% off this pattern when you »sign up to my newsletter<<OrGet this pattern for FREE when you purchase a kit from Under the Olive Tree Knits. Click HERE for more details.
With the Let the Yarn Shine sock pattern you can learn to knit socks by following a pattern full of detailed instructions, photos and hints and tips PLUS every stage has a supporting video tutorial!
- Have you ever wanted to knit your owns socks but don’t know where to start?
- Would you like to treat your feet to something comfortable and cozy?
- Do you have that one off skein of sock yarn in your stash just waiting for the perfect pattern to show off its colours?
- Do you enjoy a project that combines mindless TV or social knitting but also has parts to keep you interested?
- Do you like a small project you can pop in your bag to knit when the opportunity strikes?
If your answer is YES to any of these questions why not give sock knitting a go today!
The Let the Yarn Shine sock pattern has been written for the knitter who is brand new to sock knitting. You will need to be comfortable with working knit and purl stitches and k2tog, ssk and p2tog decreases.
Using the pattern and the programme of supporting video tutorials, we will go through every stage of sock knitting step-by-step. There are also lots of photos and handy hints included in the pattern too.
With this pattern and videos you will learn:
How a top down sock is constructed
How to choose your materials
How to use double pointed needles to knit in the round
How to measure a foot and easily adjust your sock lengths for a perfect fitting sock
How to cast on and divide your stitches over the double pointed needles
How to knit a slip stitch heel flap
How to create a gusset for a snug and comfortable fitting sock
How to shape the toes
How to work Kitchener Stitch to finish your socks
How to block your socks for a smooth and professional finish
Working with double pointed needles and starting at the cuff this pattern will guide you through each stage of sock knitting step-by-step with full video tutorials. The pattern has 3 sizes, although these are easily customisable and details are given on how to adjust for a perfect fitting sock.
As the pattern name suggests - these socks are ideal for showcasing a colourful skein of fingering weight / 4 ply yarn!Skills / Techniques Used
– Knit, purl, slip stitch, short rows, decreasesSizes and Measurements
Hand knit socks are designed to be slightly smaller than the foot length to give a small amount of negative ease. This means that they will hug the foot and leg and stay in place.
Hand knitted socks are designed to be slightly smaller than the foot length to give a small amount of negative ease. This means that they will hug the foot and leg and stay in place.
The sizes given in this pattern are for adult sizes in small, medium and large.
The sizes given are a ‘to fit’ size. The actual socks will be slightly smaller to allow a little stretch for a snug fit.
• 8” / 20.5cm foot circumference
• 8.5” / 21.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• 9” / 23cm foot circumference
• 9.25” / 23.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• 9.75” / 25cm foot circumference
• 10” / 25.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
The size shown in the pattern photographs is for a small adult.Materials Used
When choosing the yarn for your socks you want to be looking for a yarn with nylon content or a high twist as this adds extra durability and strength.
- 1 x 3.5oz / 100g, 440 yd / 400m skein of Under the Olive Tree merino / nylon blend 4ply yarn. The yarn used in the pattern is the Lavender Fields (75% superwash merino / 25% nylon)
- 1 set of 2.5mm double pointed needles (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 1 stitch marker
- 1 Tapestry Needle
32 stitches and 44 rows to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch after blocking
This pattern has been professionally tech edited and test knitted.