Get 20% off this pattern when you »sign up to my newsletter<<OrGet this pattern for FREE when you purchase a kit from Under the Olive Tree Knits. Click HERE for more details.
Let the Yarn Shine is a basic adult sock pattern, ideal for the beginner sock knitter. Working with double pointed needles and starting at the cuff this pattern will guide you through each stage of sock knitting step-by-step with photo tutorials. The pattern has 3 sizes, although these are easily customisable and details are given on how to adjust for a perfect fitting sock.
As the pattern name suggests - these socks are ideal for showcasing a colourful skein of fingering weight / 4 ply yarn!Skills / Techniques Used
– Knit, purl, slip stitch, short rows, decreasesSizes and Measurements
Hand knit socks are designed to be slightly smaller than the foot length to give a small amount of negative ease. This means that they will hug the foot and leg and stay in place.
The sizes given in this pattern are for adult sizes in small, medium and large. To determine which size sock to knit you will need to measure your foot as follows:
Circumference – Take a tape measure and wrap this around the widest part of your foot, just before your toes.
Length – Take a ruler and place it on the floor. With the back of your heel on ‘0’ measure the length to the top of your longest toe.
If your measurements are in between the sizes given, select the nearest circumference size as the length can be easily adjusted to fit.
The sizes given are a ‘to fit’ size. The actual socks will be slightly smaller to allow a little stretch for a snug fit.
• 8” / 20.5cm foot circumference
• 8.5” / 21.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• 9” / 23cm foot circumference
• 9.25” / 23.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• 9.75” / 25cm foot circumference
• 10” / 25.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
The size shown in the pattern photographs is for a small adult.Materials Used
When choosing the yarn for your socks you want to be looking for a yarn with nylon content or a high twist as this adds extra durability and strength.
- 1 x 3.5oz / 100g, 440 yd / 400m skein of Under the Olive Tree merino / nylon blend 4ply yarn. The yarn used in the pattern is the Lavender Fields (75% superwash merino / 25% nylon)
- 1 set of 2.5mm double pointed needles (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 1 stitch marker
- 1 Tapestry Needle
32 stitches and 44 rows to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch after blocking
This pattern has been professionally tech edited and test knit