Leadenhall Market - Sock Pattern PDF
Get this pattern for free when you purchase a kit for this design! Click here for more information.
Pick up your needles and take a stroll through the cobbled streets of Leadenhall Market. One of London’s oldest markets, Leadenhall Market dates back to the 14th century and is situated in what was the centre of Roman London. Once a popular and thriving meat and poultry market, the site is now an arcade with a host of boutique style shops housed under ornate roof arches and skylights.
Leadenhall Market Socks are worked from the top down, starting with a ribbed cuff. Then you will work the cobbled paths of reverse stockinette either side of a delicate eyelet lace pattern inspired by the rooftop skylights that run the length of the market.
The pattern is written for 3 adult sizes and video tutorials are provided for the stitches and techniques used to make the socks.
Skills / Techniques Used – Knit, purl, slip stitch, short rows, eyelets, decreases
Sizes and Measurements
Hand knit socks are designed to be slightly smaller than the foot length to give a small amount of negative ease. This means that they will hug the foot and leg and stay in place. The sizes given are a ‘to fit’ size. The actual socks will be slightly smaller to allow a little stretch for a snug fit.
The sizes given in this pattern are for adult sizes in small, medium and large. To determine which size sock to knit you will need to measure your foot as follows:
Circumference – Take a tape measure and wrap this around the widest part of your foot, just before your toes.
Length – Take a ruler and place it on the floor. With the back of your heel on ‘0’ measure the length to the top of your longest toe.
If your measurements are in between the sizes given, select the nearest circumference size as the length can be easily adjusted to fit.
• Small Adult - 8” / 20.5cm foot circumference and 8.5” / 21.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• Medium Adult - 9” / 23cm foot circumference and 9.25” / 23.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• Large Adult - 9.75” / 25cm foot circumference and 10” / 25.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
The size shown in the pattern photographs is for the small adult.
When choosing the yarn for your socks you want to be looking for a yarn with nylon content or a high twist as this adds extra durability and strength.
• 1 x 3.5oz / 100g, 440 yd / 400m skein of 4ply sock yarn. The yarn used in the pattern is the Under the Olive Tree 75% superwash merino / 25% nylon Chora 4ply yarn in the Fruit Punch colourway
• 1 set of 2.5mm double pointed needles (or size needed to obtain gauge)
• 3 Stitch Markers
• 1 Tapestry Needle
Gauge - 32 stitches and 44 rnds to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch after blocking
This pattern has been professionally tech edited and test knit