Macaw wings shawl Tunisian crochet pattern
About the patternThis Tunisian crochet pattern is inspired by the wonderfully colorful macaws and their magnificent wingspans. It looks best in a symmetrical gradient or even in a lightly speckled yarn.
This is an intermediate/advanced lace crescent-shaped shawl with feather-like sections, worked from one tip, through the wider middle and toward the other tip.
The pattern consists of 13 sections and is fully written, with charts for each section. You will need to read each row of the pattern to make this, as each section is different from the one before.
You will get
- A PDF file with full instructions and small charts - A4 size.
- A cheat sheet for loop counts in short rows.
- A PDF file with easy read instructions (single column, 24 point Arial font) and large photos - A4 size.
- A PDF file with large charts - A3 size.
- Yarn: about 960-1000 meters or 480-500 grams of yarn of your preference in DK or size 3 weight at 200-220 meters per 100 grams;
- Hook - Tunisian crochet hook, 5.5 mm or hook that gets you gauge; 4 mm regular crochet hook.
- Tapestry needle, scissors, tape measure
- Optional: stitch markers, tools for blocking (iron with steam or other steamer), blocking mats and pins.
Sample made in DK Advent pack from Pook Yarns (200 m per 100 g).
Size and measurements
The shawl can be made smaller or larger by altering the thickness of the yarn and the hook size. You can also choose to skip some of the sections to make the shawl smaller.
The sample shown has the following measurements:
Length: 150 cm or 59" across the top edge.
Width: 55 cm or 21.5" at the widest point.