USA club coach Mike Lingenfelter spent a number of years in the college coaching ranks as both an assistant and head coach following his own playing career. He has really found a home coaching younger developing players at the Juniors level, though. He's spent over 15 years at the highly respected Munciana program - the oldest volleyball club in the US. There he feels he can have the greatest impact as a trainer and player developer.
His resume includes:
- Four national championships, four national runner-ups, and three third place finishes with his Juniors teams
- Three Indiana state high school championships.
- Indiana state high school Coach of the Year on three occasions.
- Regular coaching clinic presenter
Here's some of what Mike discusses in his interview:
- Evolving as a coach
- Having a culture
- Structuring and managing team tryouts
- Developing team culture and cohesion
- Managing the demands of a long season
- Having a player-first mentality