Yarn: any weight, any amount; fingering weight used in sample shown
Shown in Skeinny Dipping Yarn Single & Squooshy (100% superwash merino wool; 400 yds./366 m per 4 oz./114 g skein) in Rhinebeck 2017, one skein (Note: This was a special-edition colorway that is no longer available. If you are looking for something similar, Malaria Dreams is a very close substitute)
Gauge: 20 stitches and 41 rows = 4 in./10 cm in garter stitch, blocked
Note: Gauge is less critical than getting a fabric you like. Adjust your needle size as needed to achieve your ideal fabric.
- Seed beads in a size appropriate to yarn (size 6/0 or 8/0 for fingering weight)
- Yarn needle
- Small crochet hook or other tool to apply beads
- Kitchen or jewelry scale (optional)
To knit this shawl, you need to know how to:
- knit and purl,
- work knit front and back (kfb) and knit front/back/front (kfbf) increases,
- work a double decrease (sk2p), and
- place a bead on a stitch.
This shawl is intended to be knit until you are almost out of yarn or are happy with the size. A kitchen or jeweler’s scale can be helpful if you are trying to maximize your yarn usage.
This pattern has been professionally tech edited.