The pillow is knitted in a single strip, starting with a ribbed section, then some stocking stitch for the back, the front is knitted in stocking stitch with the word 'love' incorporated using intarsia. The back is then knitted, finishing with a ribbed section featuring buttonholes to fasten the pillow cover. The side seams are joined using mattress stitch. The cushion cover is the perfect size for a standard IKEA long cushion [65 cm x 40 cm (25.5 in x 16 in)].
The intarsia portion of the pattern is provided as both a chart and written out in full.
One size: 62 cm × 37.5 cm
20 sts and 26 rows = 10 cm (4 in) in stocking stitch worked flat on 4.5 mm (US 7) needles after wet blocking, or size needed to obtain correct tension.
Worsted-weight yarn in the following colours and amounts:
- MC: 615 m (675 yds)
- CC: 65 m (75 yds)
- 4.5 mm (US 7) circular needle at least 60 cm (24 in) in length - a circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of sts, however, a long straight needle [30 cm (12 in)] may be used instead
- 17 yarn bobbins (9 wound with MC; 8 wound with CC)
- chart row marker
- tapestry needle
- 2 stitch markers
- 4 removable stitch markers
- 5 buttons, 28 mm (1 in) in diameter
- 65 cm x 40 cm (25.5 in x 16 in) cushion pad
The sample is knitted in Rowan Pure Wool Superwash Worsted (worsted, 200 m per 100 g ball, 100% wool) in Magenta 119 (MC) and Moonstone 112 (CC).
The ‘love’ motif is intended to be worked using intarsia, but you may prefer to work it using stranded or ladderback jacquard techniques.
This pattern was tech edited by Jo Torr.
A version of this pattern was published in issue 84 of Knit Now magazine.