As the name suggests, the Tip Toe Up sock is worked from the toe to the cuff and has a completely replaceable heel and toe. This is a skill-building pattern with step by step instructions for Turkish cast on, grafting on the needles, a stretchy sewn bind off with no sewing, forethought heel, and heel/toe replacement included.
May 2021 update: I've added four more sizes and an addendum with fun hacks like knitting in the dark and afterthought heels, toes, and cuffs. Also suggestions for planning the heel among the stripes in self-striping yarn.
Instructions are written for your preferred choice of needles: one long or two short circular needles, flexi or straight DPNs, or mini circular.
This knitting pattern includes written description and instructions/links for specified techniques.
Sizing + Finished MeasurementsTo fit foot circumference:
5¼ (6¼, 7¼, 8¼, 9½)(10½, 11½, 12½, 13½)" / 13.5 (16, 18.5, 21, 24)(26.5, 29, 32, 34.5) cm.Finished foot circumference:
4¾ (5¾, 6½, 7½, 8½)(9½, 10¼, 11¼, 12¼)" / 12 (14.5, 16.5, 19, 21.5)(24, 26, 28.5, 31) cm.Finished foot length:
5¼ (6¼, 7, 8¼, 9½)(10½, 11½, 12¾, 13¾)" / 13.5 (16, 18, 21, 24)(26.5, 29, 32.5, 35) cm.
While every body is unique. If gift knitting, it might be helpful to know that the sizing is loosely as follows: baby (child, preteen, adult S, M)(L, XL, 2X, 3X).Yarn
- Fingering weight sock yarn
- MC: 100 (150, 225, 285, 375)(450, 525, 645, 765) yd / 90 (135, 205, 260, 345)(415, 480, 590, 700) m
- CC: 35 (45, 60, 85, 105)(125, 160, 185, 215) yd / 30 (45, 55, 80, 95)(115, 145, 170, 195) m
RainCityKnits Superwash Sock; 423 m (463 yd) per 100 g (4 oz) skein; 75% superwash wool / 25% nylonNeedles + Notions
- 2.25 mm (US 1) needle(s) for small circumference in the round: your choice of one long or two short circular needles, flexi or straight DPNs, or mini circular with alternate method for the toe and heel
- If you use a single circular method, you will need a second needle the same size or smaller for the grafting—short circular or DPN works fine.
- If you use dpns, you'll need to work on circular needle(s) for the cast on and the first couple rounds.
- 1 locking stitch marker (optional)
- Waste yarn
- 34 sts and 50 rnds to 4” (10cm) over stocking stitch in the round
Use a yarn especially made for sock knitting with some nylon in it. If you want to stay away from synthetic fibres, a blend with silk or mohair will add strength to the yarn or look for a multi-plied yarn with a tight twist. The gauge should be quite tight to make the socks long-wearing.Techniques
Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, Turkish cast on (described), raised increases (tutorial links), toe up sock construction, afterthought heel, yarn placeholder (tutorial link), replaceable heel, on the needles grafting, stretchy no sewing sewn bind off (tutorial link).Helpful Links Raised Increases video tutorial Raised Increases photo tutorial SSK & SSP Decreases video tutorial How to insert a waste yarn placeholder for the planned afterthought heel. How to work a sewn bind off with no sewing.Turkish Cast On photo tutorial
This pattern is also available on ravelry.com
, and makerist.com
This pattern has been tech edited.