These 8-pointed stars can be used as hotpads, doilies or coasters.
They are knitted in one piece and all in garter stitch – starting with a provisional CO, then point by point around the center. Grafting the first and last rows together gives it a seamless look. The construction uses short rows and basic increases and decreases.
So, if you want a quick knit to get you into a Christmas mood, this pattern is for you.
This knitting pattern is 14 pages long and includes
- the complete written patterns for stars in two sizes including charts
- a general pattern how to knit stars in other sizes – containing also a photo tutorial
- three further variations of this pattern (see the last photos of the gallery): a lacy variation of this star (written pattern and a chart), a pattern for a two-colour variation (written pattern, a chart and detailed instructions how to undo the provisional CO in two colours and how to do the grafting in two colours), and a three-colour variation (chart only)
- short photo tutorials for the following techniques: provisional cast on with a crochet hook and how to undo it, grafting in garter stitch, intarsia
- for the white(-ish) stars in Aran weight 15 grams for the small star (measures 16 cm from point to point), 30 grams for the bigger one (24 cm from point to point, see picture with baking trays)
- and about 40 grams of Sports weight yarn for the orange lacy star (36 cm from point to point)