Baby Sand Dollar Sweater Knitting Pattern
This is a digital download for a knitting pattern. This is not a physical product.
This digital download includes a low vision format with 24 point sans serif black text and fully written instructions.
My inspiration for this pattern was a longing for warmer, easier days. As cozy as we make ourselves to endure the seemingly endless Canadian winters, we remember summer, sand, and sea. I was inspired by the shapes and colours of coral, shells, and especially sand dollars, which worked their way into the lacy motif - a play on Barbara Walker’s Sunspots - across the waist.
This pattern is for a baby/toddler sweater in three sizes - 12 month, 18 month, and 24 month. The cotton-wool blend and airy mesh pattern throughout gives a lightness to this little pullover that lends itself to breezy spring days and summer evenings.
The mesh pattern is quick to learn; the lace motif is a little spicier, requiring a bit of attention - but only for 12 rows. The seamless raglan construction makes for minimal finishing. A little blocking will make the Sand Dollar pattern really stand out.
Supplemental charts are included at the end of the pattern for those who prefer working from charts for the increase sections. A link to a video tutorial for the Mesh pattern is also provided.
US size 6/4mm 16”/40cm circular needle.
US size 6/4mm DPNs.
4 stitch markers, 2 stitch holders or waste yarn, darning needle for finishing.
12 month 18 month, 24 month
Collar circumference: 13.75”/34cm 15.25”/38cm, 18”/45cm
Underarm to hem: 7.5”/19cm 8”/20cm, 8.5”/21.5cm
Wrist circumference: 5.5”/14cm 6.5”/16.5cm, 7.25”/18.5cm
Chest circumference: 22”/56cm 24”/61cm, 26”/66cm
Underarm to wrist: 8”/20cm 8”/20cm, 8.5”/21.5cm
Armhole depth: 3.75”/9.5cm 4”/10cm, 4.25”/11cm
Knit & purl, bind off, lace increases and decreases
Long tail cast on (see Supplemental Resources)
Working in the round on circular needles
Working in the round on double pointed needles
Working from charts (not required for low vision version)
Image descriptions: 1. A composite photo image 5, 8, and of Nicky and a baby sitting on a sofa in matching cream lace pullovers and jeans, reading a board book.
2. A blonde toddler posing on a baby-sized pink plaid wing chair, modelling a cream lace pullover.
3. A baby sized cream lace raglan pullover with long sleeves and sand dollar lace motif across the hips, hanging on a hanger.
4. The same pullover laid flat with the sleeves outstretched.
5. The same pullover with long sleeves and sand dollar lace motif across the hips, laid flat with sleeves folded in.
6. Close up of the sand dollar lace motif on the same pullover.
7. Close up of raglan detail on the same pullover.
8. A blonde baby facing away, modelling the same pullover.
9. The same design knit in soft dusty pink, laid flat with sleeves folded in.
Thanks to my wonderful tech editor Frauke Urban and my fabulous test knitters for making this pattern the best it can be!