Performance of Computer Communication Systems: A Model-Based Approach
Performance of Computer Communication Systems A Model-BasedApproach Boudewijn R. Haverkort Rheinisch-WestfälischeTechnische Hochschule Aachen, Germany Computer communicationsystems and distributed systems are now able to provide anincreasing range of services. As the timing requirements in theoperation of these services are becoming crucial for the globalcommunity. performance assessment and selection of communicationand distributed systems are, therefore, becoming more important. Inthis book, the author illustrates the techniques and methods usedto evaluate the performance of computer communication systems,thereby covering all aspects of model-based performance evaluation.Unlike other books on this topic, there is no restriction to aparticular performance evaluation technique. Notable features inthis book include:
* coverage of all major techniques of performance evaluation
* non-mathematical problem solving approach, explaining andillustrating performance evaluation techniques
* assessment techniques for stochastic processes, single serverqueues, networks of queues and stochastic Petri nets
* numerous application studies, including token ring systems,client-server systems, and wide-area networks
* substantial number of practical exercises and examples.
For computer or electrical engineers who design and implementcomputer communication systems, this book provides an excellentoverview of the methods and techniques used to construct and solveperformance models. It is also a valuable source of information forpostgraduate students in computer science and related subjects.