This delightfully squishy cowl features tightly woven cables and lots of texture. Knit in the round from the bottom up with Aran weight yarn, this is the perfect project for when you want something quick yet engaging.
The pattern includes instructions for three different widths (small, medium, and large) and two different heights (short and tall). Is your ideal cowl somewhere in between or beyond what’s listed? There are tips on how to modify both width and height.
The pattern includes both charted and fully written instructions, plus two Low Vision Accessible (LVA) versions.
Note: Measurements below were taken with cowl laying on flat surface. Double the width to find the circumference.
Short - 8.5" / 21.5cm
Tall - 12.5 / 31.75cm
Small - 9" / 22.5cm
Medium - 13.5" / 34.25cm
Large - 18" / 45.75cm
The pattern uses the following amounts of Aran weight yarn:
Short / small: 200 yards / 182 meters
Short / medium: 305 yards / 280 meters
Short / large: 405 yards / 370 meters
Tall / small: 300 yards / 275 meters
Tall / medium: 455 yards / 416 meters
Tall / large: 610 yards / 558 meters
The sample (short height, small width) was made with Knitcraft and Knittery’s Aran Weight Merino (100% Merino) in colorway Brockenshire.
Knitcraft and Knittery’s Aran Weight Merino is a springy yarn with great stitch definition. A solid or semi-solid colorway is recommended so as not to obscure the intricate cables.
US 6 / 4mm circular needles with:
- 16" 41cm long cord for small width
- 24" / 61cm long cord for medium and large widths
22 sts and 32 rounds in American Moss stitch = 4"/10cm (knit in the round, measured after blocking)
- Four (six, eight) stitch markers (for small (medium, large) widths)
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Skills and Techniques
Basic: knit, purl, k2tog, ssk, m1L, German twisted cast on, binding off in pattern
Cables: C4F, C4B, 2/2LPC, 2/2RPC, 2/1/2LPC, 2/1/2RPC, 2/1LPCDec, 2/1RPCDec
Test knitters rated this as advanced beginner or intermediate. Prior experience with cables is recommended.
- Stonesinger Cowl_v1 includes both charted and written instructions in standard sized font.
- Stonesinger Cowl_white background_v1 has black text on white background, 22-24 point font, sans serif font, no italics, and fully written directions.
- Stonesinger Cowl_black background_v1 has white text on black background, 22-24 point font, sans serif font, no italics, and fully written directions.