The Successful Author Mindset
It’s also about surviving the roller-coaster of the creative journey.
Self-doubt, fear of failure, the need for validation, perfectionism, writer’s block, comparisonitis, overwhelm, and much more. When you’re going through these things, it can feel like you’re alone. But actually, they are part of the creative process, and every author goes through them too.
This book collects the mindset issues that writers experience, that I have been through myself over the last ten years and that perhaps you will experience at different times on the creative journey.
Each small chapter tackles a possible issue and then offers an antidote so that you can dip in and out over time. It includes excerpts from my own personal journals as well as quotes from well-known writers. I hope it helps you on the road to becoming a successful author.
The book includes:
Part 1: Mindset Aspects of Creativity and Writing
* Self-doubt and imposter syndrome
* Need for validation
* Fear of failure
* Fear of rejection and criticism
* Your inner critic
* Fear of judgment
* Writer’s block and procrastination
* “I’m not creative. I don’t have any ideas”
* “My writing isn’t original”
* “Why write? There are too many books in the world already”
* “I don’t have the time or self-discipline to write”
* “I’m not finding writing much fun. It’s hard work.”
* “I keep starting things and not finishing them”
* Dealing with friends, family and writer’s groups
* “How do I find my voice?”
* Comparisonitis or “Everyone is better than me”
Part 2: Mindset Aspects after Publishing
* Anti-climax and creative dissatisfaction
* What is your definition of success?
* What happens when you tell people that you’re an author?
* “I’m overwhelmed”
* Dealing with fans, authenticity and drawing the line
* Haters gonna hate
* Ambition, fame and fortune
* Giving up
Part 3: Tips for Success on the Author Journey
* Know thyself
* Understand and hone your creative process
* Develop professional habits
* Manage professional relationships
* Take control of your writing career
* Find your community
* Keep learning
* Schedule rest and take time off
* Think long term. Create a body of work
You're not alone on the author's journey.
Download includes mobi for Kindle, ePub for other ereaders and PDF versions.
“I felt like the author was reading my mind!” – Julie
“Inspirational, uplifting and a definite read no matter where you are in your journey” – J.E.Grace
“…many passages of this book felt like [Joanna] was speaking directly to my soul – to that place inside every writer that is vulnerable and sensitive … This book reaches out to that part, gives it a hug and tells it to not be afraid.” – Nataliya
“This book will be one I keep with me over my journey going back to it again and again for perspective, encouragement, and guidance.” – Linda
“she's frank and candid and tells it like it is. Too many people will have you believe being an author is easy. It isn't. It is very rewarding, but there are a lot of fears and doubts that we have to overcome if we are going to stick with it.” – Ruth
“If you’ve ever suffered from writer’s block, imposter syndrome, perfectionism or comparisonitis, you’ll find reassurance, acceptance and practical ways through. If you’re underpowered and lacking mojo, you’ll find inspiration and tactful butt-kicks.” – Jules