If you’re in need of a fast extra-bulky weight cowl project, look no further! The design for the Delft Blue cowl came into being because my daughter bikes to school every day. It can get cold in the 45 minutes she needs for that. So, I made her this nice and snug-fitting cowl (size S). It’s tall enough to keep her neck warm, even if she pulls it up over her nose. Of course, I also included larger sizes for those who prefer a longer loop.
Extra bulky-weight knitting not quite your thing? There is also a worsted weight version of this design
The Delft Blue cowl is knit seamless and in the round, with simple color work in the corrugated ribbing.Difficulty level
The Delft Blue cowl is seamless and knit in the round with simple color work patterning. Stitches used are knit and purl. This pattern is suitable for the advanced beginner to intermediate knitter.Sizes and finished measurements
Sizes S (M, L, XL): With a circumference of 60 (74, 88, 102) cm (24 (29, 35, 40) inches), and 34 cm (13 inches) high.
To further adjust the sizing, cast-on any number of stitches in a multiple of 4 and/or work a different number of repeats of the body pattern. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.Pattern details
- Delft Blue is written for a gauge of 11.3 sts / 14.5 rounds = 10 cm (4 inches) over color work pattern after washing and gentle blocking.
- Pattern language included: English.
- Digital PDF has 3 pages (letter size).
Debbie Bliss Merion [50% wool, 50% acrylic; 100 m (109 yds) / 100 g] in the following colors and amounts:
C1: 80 (99, 118, 136) m (88 (108, 129, 149) yds) / 80 (99, 118, 136) g in 10 Admiral
C2: 80 (99, 118, 136) m (88 (108, 129, 149) yds) / 80 (99, 118, 136) g in 09 Sky Blue
Substitute any single-ply type bulky weight yarns of similar weight and in sufficient contrast to each other for a similar result.Materials
- Circular needles in the following sizes (or to match gauge): Size 7 mm (US 10.75) and size 8 mm (US 11). For sizes S and M, a cable length of 60 cm (24 inches) is advised, for the larger two sizes a length of 80 cm (32 inches) may be more appropriate.
- Yarn needle.
- 1 end-of-round stitch marker.