Gigadistal is flexible: adjust the yarn type and weight and gauge by choosing a needle two sizes larger than called for on the yarn’s ball band and create a design all your own. With approximately 164 yards (150 meters) of super bulky weight yarn or any combination of yarns that knits to gauge on size 13 (9mm) needles, the shawl measures approximately 45”/114cm long by 18”/45.5cm in depth.
Accessibility Note: This pattern offers an additional Low Vision pdf option, with Arial 24 point font and photo captions, for those who need large print.
Finished Measurements of Gigadistal:
An asymmetric, slightly curved triangular shape, measuring approximately 45”/114cm long by 18”/45.5cm in depth. This pattern is stretchy, so blocked measurements will vary.
Length and width of scarf will vary according to your yarn choice, needle size and blocking approach.
Approximately 164 yards (150 meters) of super bulky weight yarn or any combination of yarns that when knit together, knits to the right gauge.
Note: This shawl pattern is easily adjustable should you choose to use more or less yarn, simply increase to more than 45 sts or less according to your yardage.
Notes for adjusting yarn and needle size used in this project:
• Use more yards of any weight yarn for a longer/wider shawl.
• Use more yards of a lighter weight yarn for roughly the same size as the sample.
• If using a heavier yarn, choose a bigger needle size in order to maintain the open nature of the shawl.
• If you’d like a warmer shawl, create a more dense fabric by choosing a needle size closer to the manufacturer’s suggestion on the ballband.
Sample Yarns Used:
Note: This sample used two discontinued stash yarns held together. This information is for reference only. Please substitute whatever is in your stash or suits your fancy!
-1 skein Handmaiden Fine Yarn Silk Spun, 100% silk boucle, 164 yarns (150m), 3.53 oz (100g) color Variegated Blues
- 2 skeins Rowan RYC Extra Fine Merino DK, 100% wool, 137 yards (125 meters), 1.76 oz (50g) color Mariner
Size 13 (9mm) straight or circular knitting needle or size to get desired gauge
Optional: Size L (8mm) crochet needle or size to create a firm single crochet edging
Blocking pins, if desired