Dorian Mitts / Mittens
The Dorian Mitts / Mittens are a fantastic project if you’re looking to explore the magic of brioche stitch! The adaptability of the pattern means you can either make a set of fingerless mitts OR full mittens, depending on your personal preference. When it comes to choosing colours to work with the striped design, you can go for a bold contrast by using a very light and very dark hue together, or pair similar hues together for a more subtle effect.
Child: 6.5” / 16.25cm circumference, suggested to fit a hand circumference of 6.5–7.5” / 16.5–19cm
Adult Small: 7.25” / 18.5cm circumference, suggested to fit a hand circumference of 7.5–8.5” / 19–21.5cm
Adult Large: 8.25” / 20.75cm circumference, suggested to fit a hand circumference of 8.5–9.5” / 21.5–24cm
Due to the flexible nature of brioche stitch, any size of these mitts / mittens will fit a wide range of hand circumferences.
DK weight / 8ply yarn, in 2 colours (Main Colour / MC is used for the cuff and for the right side brioche knit columns, Contrast Colour / CC is used for the right side brioche purl columns). Worsted spun, plump, and Merino wool yarns work particularly well, either on superwash or non-superwash bases. Samples were knit using Yarn Trader Merino DK (100% superwash Merino; 245yds / 224m per 100g), MC: Herne, CC: Havisham Cream.
Please note that the following yardage requirements will vary if changes are made to the length of the cuff, hand or thumb of the mitts / mittens from what is suggested in the pattern, and will also vary with any differences in gauge.
MC: 82yds / 75m, CC: 50yds / 45m
MC: 104yds / 95m, CC: 82yds / 75m
Adult Small Mitts
MC: 99yds / 90m, CC: 66yds / 60m
Adult Small Mittens
MC: 110yds / 100m, CC: 93yds / 85m
Adult Large Mitts
MC: 115yds / 105m, CC: 82yds / 75m
Adult Large Mittens
MC: 137yds / 125m, CC: 115yds / 105m
You will also need a small amount of smooth, contrasting waste yarn for placing the thumb stitches on hold.
– For main fabric: US 4 / 3.5mm needle, OR size to obtain gauge, at least 32” / 80cm length circular needle, double-pointed needles or short 9” / 23cm circular needle
– Optional for cuffs: needle 1 size smaller than size to obtain gauge, in chosen style for working in the round
– For mitts only: US 10.5 / 6.5mm needle, OR size approximately double the metric diameter of needle that obtains gauge, in any style of your choosing
– 2 lockable, safety pin-style stitch markers, and 1 optional extra stitch marker / progress keeper for marking the beginning of round
– Tape measure
– Tapestry needle
17.25 stitches x 50.5 rounds = 4” / 10cm, in 1 OR 2 colour brioche stitch on main fabric size needle, knit in the round and relaxed after blocking.
VIDEO TUTORIAL LINKS INCLUDED IN THIS PATTERN
– Long tail cast on method (with needles held doubled)
– Backwards loop cast on method
– Bind off
– How to work 1 colour brioche, in the round
– How to work 2 colour brioche, in the round
– How to work brioche increases, in the round
– How to work brioche decreases, in the round
– How to fix mistakes in brioche
Please note that this pattern ALSO includes photo tutorials for the specialty brioche stitches used. If you wish to print the pattern but want to save ink, and don’t need the photo tutorial pages, you can just print pages 1-8 by themselves!
Please note that to protect our intellectual property, all patterns have a 5x download limit through Payhip. Ensure you save a copy of your pattern somewhere safe before this limit is reached. If you have any issues with your purchase, just get in touch and we'll be happy to help!