Oh, Joy! Patchwork Pillow Pattern
The pattern is for making a finished pillow cover that is 18.5" x 18.5", using seasonal quilting cottons for the patchwork front, for the applique and the envelope style back. The pillow cover features a two fabric or "flange" binding and double layer, text applique - with all measurements and instructions given within the pattern.
This pattern is in English and includes text - PLUS colour photos for step by step directions. It is 17 pages in length (including cover page and the final page of applique templates and guides). This pattern can be downloaded for printing, immediately after purchasing. (Please Note: Acrobat Reader is required, www.adobe.com).
DESIGN OPTION: Use 2.5" squares from your stash, or buy a set of mini-charm (pre-cuts) of your favourite fabric collection. See more on my blog.
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate Beginner. Accuracy in cutting, marking and sewing is important. Straight stitch and zig-zag stitch (for the applique) are needed for sewing this design.
FINISHED SIZE: Pillow cover is 18.5" x 18.5" finished.
- rotary cutter and self healing mat
- quilting ruler
- thread (50 wt. cotton thread for piecing and 40 wt. rayon for satin stitching the applique)
- sewing machine (with an adjustable zig zag stitch for sewing the applique)
- 1 Fat Quarter* quilting cotton (background fabric )
- 2 Fat Quarters* quilting cotton (co-ordinating fabrics for pillow back)
- 2 Fat Quarters* quilting cotton (for binding - make sure they contrast)
- **1 mini charm pack OR 36 @2.5” squares of quilting cotton
- 21” x 21” piece of quilt batt (e.g.Hobb’s Heirloom 80/20)
- 21” x 21” quilting cotton (this is backing for quilting pillow front)
- 3 (size 20) self-cover buttons
- light weight fusible web (for applique eg. Pellon’s Wonder Under)
- scraps of quilting cotton (for appliqué and self-cover buttons)
Finally, I personally recommend using a pillow insert that is larger (in this case, use a 20" insert) than the finished pillow cover, to create a plump looking pillow! Happy sewing!