Understanding Drama by Jeni Whittaker
- Covers the span of theatre history from the Greek to modern times;
- Blends information and practical work, including on textual examples throughout;
- Seeks to teach students about the conditions and acting style of each particular period through practical work;
- Shows the development of theatre buildings and stage shapes, as well as scenery, lighting, etc.;
- Shows the development of features like masks, the use of a chorus, clowning, etc.;
- Traces the development of the various styles of comedy and tragedy, of naturalism, narrative and epic theatre, and visual or physical theatre.