Half Fade Hap
The Half Fade Hap starts at one corner of the center triangle and increased until big enough. Stitches are picked up along the edges and the stunning border is worked outwards. Each color band in its own lace patterning. The shawl is finished with a gorgeous edging that is knitted on sideways and attached to the live stitches of the border as it is being worked.
The instructions for the lace are provided both charted and written out.
This shawl is worked flat back and forth. Techniques used include working a knitted-on edging. Stitches used include knit, purl, yo, k2tog, skp, and various double decreases.
This pattern is suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
Finished dimensions of the dark green sample shawl: Wingspan of 192 cm (76 ½ inches) and a depth of 82 cm (32 ¼ inches), measured after blocking.
- This shawl pattern is written for a gauge of approx. 25 sts / 30 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over the center triangle, measured after blocking Gauge is not critical in this design.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 8 pages (letter size)
AG2N Hand Dyed Yarns Softy Squishy Fingering 2 (100% Merino; 399 m (436 yds) / 100 g) in the following colors and amounts: C1: 100 m, (109 yds) / 25 g in “Fade 1”, C2: 100 m (109 yds) / 25 g in “Fade 2”, C3: 100 m (109 yds) / 25 g in “Fade 3”, C4: 100 m (109 yds) / 25 g in “Fade 4”, C5: 100 m (109 yds) / 25 g in “Fade 5” and C6: 200 m (218 yds) / 50 g in “Fade 6”.
AG2N Hand Dyed Yarns has dyed several fade sets (with yarn enough for the full hap or 2 half haps), these can be found here.
Substitute wool fingering weight yarn of comparable thickness, in a fade sequence for a similar result, or with 742 m (812 yds) / 175 g yarn in a single color.
Dark green version: Worked by I. Kooiman in Zettle Treviso (75% Wool, 25% Nylon; 209 m (229 yds) / 50 g) in green.
Multicolored version with the center triangle in yellow: Worked by M. Veldhuijzen van Zanten in Geilsk 3 ply Bomuld og uld (55% Wool, 45% Cotton; 232 m (254 yds) / 50 g) in multiple colors.
- Size 4 mm (US Size 6) 80 cm (32 inches) or longer circular needle.
- Yarn needle
- 4 stitch markers to denote the edge and center stitches
- Stitch markers to denote repeats of the lace patterning (optional)