Winter Gansey Socks
These socks are super simple to knit and can be easily customised by mixing and matching the different pattern options in which ever order you wish to use them. Instructions are given on the order the pattern was knit to produce the sample socks. However; you are encouraged to work them up in whichever manner suits you to get something that is uniquely yours.
Combining a mixture of knits and purls this is a simple pattern yet very engaging to knit. In addition I have included a different ribbing pattern than my usual go to ribbing as I felt this stitch combination really went well with the rest of the patterning in the socks.
What you will need:• Yarn - 100g Sock Yarn (approx. 365-400m / 400-440 yds) Sample knit in Knitting It Up Yarns on the Hampton base in the canyon Moon Colourway (80/10/10 Superwash Merino/Cashmere/Nylon).
• Needles – 2.25mm or 2.5mm (US 1 or 1.5) on a long cable for magic loop (I suggest 40” / 100cm for two at a time knitting).
• Notions – Optional - A progress keeper to keep track of row count / pattern repeats (this can also work to mark the instep side of your work).
• Gauge – Approx 8 sts/inch in stockinette
• Size – Socks are sized in a XS (S / S-M / M / M-L / L / XL). Sizes are based on foot circumference and not length as you knit the sock as long as you need to in order to fit the recipient. Please also note that socks need to have about 1-2 inches (2.5-5cm) of negative ease in order to provide a nice snug fit around the foot without being too baggy. Further, socks will loosen up over time and with wear so personally I prefer a nice snug fit at the start to reduce this effect later.
- 48sts - X Small for a foot circumference of approx. 6-7 inches
- 56sts - Small for a foot circumference of approx. 8-9 inches
- 60sts - Small/Medium for a foot circumference of approx. 8.5-9.5 inches
- 64sts - Medium for a foot circumference of approx. 9-10 inches
- 68sts - Medium/Large for a foot circumference of approx. 9.5-10.5 inches
- 72sts - Large for a foot circumference of approx. 10-11 inches
- 80sts - X Large for a foot circumference of approx. 11-12 inches
Note about Instructions:• Instructions are shown as XS (S/S-M/M/M-L/L/XL) throughout the pattern, where stitch counts vary.
• I knit my socks using the Magic Loop method, however; the pattern can be adapted to use DPN’s or 9 inch Circulars or your preferred method for knitting socks.
• Instructions are provided for both Cuff Down and Toe Up. The Cuff Down method is first, followed by Toe Up instructions. A general outline of the sock construction is first provided followed by the stitch pattern to be used for the leg and foot.
• At the end of the pattern you will find the generic instructions for the German Short Row Heel which is worked exactly the same way for both Toe Up and Cuff Down socks.
• To work the GSR heel in Garter Stitch you will just need to knit every row rather than purl the wrong side rows.
• The Modified Heel Flap Adjustment (MHFA) instructions can be found as a separate PDF download along with this pattern. This was done to reduce the file size of this pattern.