Sign up for the newsletter
to hear about new pattern releases, exclusive discounts and what’s happening at Hardybarn Designs
Yarra is a gorgeous lace stole worked in two identical pieces, so the pretty Estonian lace edge is shown to its best. Designed in 6 sections using different lace skills but joined by relaxing knit and purl sections for an enjoyable knit. The “Yarra” name comes from A Good Yarn, which sits at the corner of Oole and Yarra Road. Originally designed for Lace Club 2020 at A Good Yarn, Cleethorpes.
220cm / 86” length (can be shortened)
39cm / 15” width
22 stitches by 30 rows = 10cm (4”) in stocking stitch. Check your gauge.
NEEDLES & ACCESSORIES
- 4 mm [US Size 6] needles (2 sets, if making both halves at the same time); or size to obtain gauge
- Crochet hook (for provisional cast-on)
- Darning needle
- Waste yarn
- Optional: stitch markers x 16
Fyberspates Scrumptious 4 Ply (100g; 366m [401yds]; 55% merino wool, 45% silk) 4 ply / fingering weight
MC: 732m [801yds]
CC: 366m [401yds]
Blue / Pink Sample used
MC: 2 hanks of Sea Foam (333)
CC: 1 hank of Magenta (315)
Cream / Pink Sample used
MC: 2 hanks of Pearl (335)
CC: 1 hank of Mulberry (337)
TECHNIQUES USED IN THE PATTERN:
Skill levels can be quite a personal choice. Some find techniques easier than others. Below is a list of all the techniques in the pattern, so you can make that choice for yourself. This was designed as a project to teach lace skills from scratch, so all the information to make the wrap is included in the pattern.
- Knit and purl
- Increases (m1a, yo)
- Decreases (ssk, k2tog, p2tog, ssp, sl1 - k2tog, psso, sl2 - k1, psso, p5tog)
- Estonian texture stitches (3-to-3, 5-to-5, nupps) - instructions included on how to work these
- Provisional cast-on - tutorial included
- Grafting - photo and video tutorial included
The pattern has been professionally tech edited and test knitted.