Mind your Waste - Lessons in Digital Literacy
In this lesson students will explore their attitudes to buying clothes and find out about the costs and environmental impact of producing clothes.
They will do this by studying an infographic about the USAgain clothes recycling project, discussing the content and implications of the graphic and researching some of the background to the problem.
The materials in this plan can be used in different ways. The first four tasks of the plan can be used independently as a simple reading and discussion class. The last three research tasks can be used individually as follow up tasks or you could use all three. These tasks are likely to take longer and could be set as homework or independent study tasks.
See an example here: Sample Copy
This lesson contains seven tasks:
- A pre-reading task which encourages students to think about their existing clothes buying habits and attitudes.
- A reading task which develops students abilities to scan text for specific information.
- A quiz creation task which encourages students to ask questions about a text.
- A post reading task which gives students the opportunity to formulate a personal response to the information they have studied.
- A social media research task in which students create a digital questionnaire to research the opinions of their peers.
- A writing task that develops students abilities to extract information from infographics and use it to create a persuasive text.
- An online research task which guides students through the process of researching an environmental problem.
The download files include:
- Step by step lesson plan and answer key with links to digital worksheets and presentation
- Photocopiable worksheets