StepMania is a dancing rhythm video game and engine. It was originally developed as a simulator of Konami's popular arcade game series Dance Dance Revolution, and has since evolved into an extensible rhythm game engine capable of supporting a wide variety of rhythm-based game types. Video game series In the Groove and Pump It Up Pro/Jump use StepMania as their game engine.
There are 77 songs included with the game.
The primary game type features the following game play: as arrows scroll upwards on the screen, they will meet with a normally stationary set of target arrows. When they meet the targets, the player should press the corresponding arrows on his or her keyboard or dance mat (dance mat not included). The moving arrows will meet the targets based on the beat of the song.
Stepmania strongly utilizes a player's sense of rhythm in its game play. The game is scored based upon how accurately the player can trigger the arrows in time to the beat of the song. The player's efforts are awarded by letter grades and a number score that tell him/her how well they have done. An award of AAAA (quadruple A) is the highest possible award available on a standard installation and indicates that a player has triggered all arrows with "marvelous" timing (within 0.0225 seconds under official settings) and avoided all mines and completed all hold arrows. An E indicates failure for a player to survive the length of the song without completely draining his/her life bar. Default scoring and grading for Stepmania is almost identical to scoring in Dance Dance Revolution; however, timing and scoring settings can easily be changed.
StepMania allows for several input options. Specialized adapters that connect console peripherals like PS2 and Xbox controllers or dance pads to one's computer can be used. Alternatively, and most popularly, the keyboard can be used to tap out the rhythms using arrow or other keys. Many song charts designed for keyboard are unable to be passed using a pad.
* Custom Songs ("Stepfiles") also known as "Simfiles": StepMania allows users to create their own custom dance patterns to any song in .ogg or .mp3 format. The program includes a comprehensive Step editor to aid the creation of these stepfiles. Despite copyright concerns, many Simfile websites exist where users share and distributed Simfiles for copyrighted songs. Additionally, official DDR and In The Groove songs with their original steps are commonly available for StepMania.
* Background animations: Support for many types of animations behind the arrows onscreen, including sprite-based animation sequences, a single full-motion video or multiple FMV visualization overlays.
* Modifiers: Visual mods that affect the scroll of arrows and either increase or decrease difficulty. StepMania includes multiple modifiers featured in Dance Dance Revolution as well as dozens of additional modifiers created exclusively for StepMania.
* Multiple arrow types - Mines, Holds, Rolls and Lift
* Multiple game types, including partial simulation of other dance games like Pump It Up, ParaParaParadise and EZ2Dancer.
* Real-time lyrics, which display on the opposite side of the screen for stepfiles that have accompanying lyric data.
* Custom themes: users can create their own skins for Stepmania. StepMania themes can vary from simple replacement of images to drastic changes
* Dancing characters: 2D and 3D character models that dance in the background according to a pre-defined routine.
* Infinite BPMs
* Network play
* 77 Songs included and many more available online
Windows and MacOS Compatible:
* Windows XP
* Windows Vista
* Windows 7
* Windows 8
* Windows 8.1
* Windows 10
This software is compatible with all Intel based Mac computers from MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard to the latest new release.