Lace for Mom
This design in size S was originally published in Knotions Magazine. This pattern, however, not only contains instructions for the peaked border on one of the long sides as pictured but also for a wider symmetrical version (size L). The instructions for the shawl are provided both fully charted and written out.
The Lace for Mom scarf is worked lengthwise and contains lace that is worked on the right side of the fabric only. Size L also requires grafting / Kitchener stitch. Stitches used include knit, purl, k2tog, skp, yo, a centered double decrease (sl2-k1-p2sso) and nupps. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
S (L) – finished dimensions: 29 (40) cm (11 ½ (15 ¾) inches) wide and 224 cm (88 ¼ inches) long, measured after blocking. Shawl pictured is size S.
- Gauge: For the sample Lace for Mom shawl: 12.7 sts / 18.8 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over body pattern knit with smaller size needles, measured after blocking. Gauge is however not critical for this design.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
- Yarn: 402 (603) m (440 (660) yds) Malabrigo Yarn Sock (100 % wool; 402 m (440 yds) per 100 g) in 806 Impressionist Sky. Substitute any wool fingering weight yarn of comparable thickness for a similar result.
- Size 5 mm (US 8) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles
- One extra pair size 5 mm (US 8) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles for grafting, for size L only
- Size 6 mm (US 10) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles for cast-on only
- Yarn needle
- 21 stitch markers to use in between lace repeats (optional)
- Waste yarn, approx. 1 m (1.1 yds), for size L only
- Crochet hook in a size equivalent to the small size knitting needles (optional, for easy nupps)