Wild Sage Hat
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.90)
DESCRIPTIONWild Sage Hat is the final installment in a set of three matching accessories. Designed to complement the fingerless mitts and socks in the set, the hat features alternating sections of lace and garter stitch. The pattern also includes instructions for making a full-lace version of the hat. The cushy garter-stitch brim will keep your ears cozy and warm. Worked in a sport-weight yarn in two colors, this hat is a quick and engaging knit.
The hat is available in two sizes: Small (55 cm / 21¾“) and Large (60 cm / 23¾”). A photo tutorial for making a fluffy pom pom that finishes the look is included in the pattern.
The hat is knitted bottom up from the brim to the crown using a short circular needle. The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are given for the lace pattern.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #wildsagehat and #talviknits.
Add Wild Sage Hat, Wild Sage Mitts, and Wild Sage Socks in your cart and get 15% off your entire order!
- Small (Large)
- Finished circumference: approx. 55 (60) cm / 21¾ (23¾)"
- Brim circumference: approx. 50 (55) cm / 19¾ (21¾)"
- Length from brim to crown: approx. 21 (23) cm / 8¼ (9)"
The hat is intended to be worn on a 56 (61) cm / 22 (24)" head with 1 cm / ¼" of negative ease.
YarnTukuwool Sock (80% wool, 20% nylon, 160 m/50 g), 2 colors, 1 skein each. The sample is knitted in colors H28 Ujo (MC) and 03 Auri (CC).
Or sport-weight yarn in 2 colors:
- Main color (MC) for lace: approx. 105 (125) m / 115 (135) yd
- Contrasting color (CC) for brim and garter stitch: approx. 75 (90) m / 85 (100) yd
- Contrasting color (CC) for pom pom: approx. 45 m / 50 yd
- For brim: 3.0 mm / US 2½ short (40 cm / 16”) circular needle
- For lace and garter stitch sections: 3.5 mm / US 4 short (40 cm / 16”) circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- For crown decreases: DPNs or long circular needle in the same size as for lace and garter stitch sections
- 1 stitch marker
- Darning needle
- Piece of cardboard (e.g., an empty cereal box)
- Compass, or two circular items you can trace around (e.g., a drinking glass, button)
- 20 sts × 32 rnds = 10 cm / 4“ in Wild Sage Lace, blocked and slightly stretched