The Waterlow Pressure Ulcer Prevention Manual (Revised 2005)
The Waterlow Manual is a comprehensive guide providing detailed backround infomation on the Waterlow scale and how to use it effectively. It provides an overview of the management activities associated with the introduction of a Pressure Ulcer Prevention Policy.
Particular attention is given to the assessment of risk, and an explanation of the reasoning behind the choice of parameters used in the Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment system which forms the heart of the Waterlow Pressure Ulcer Prevention/Treatment Policy tool.
Examples are given of how the card can provide a valuable aid to nurses and home carers in their fight to reduce the unnecessary cost and pain of pressure ulcers.
This Manual, originally produced in 1994, has undergone a complete revision. The Waterlow pressure ulcer risk assessment scoring system has been modified in the light of a large research programme conducted for the Queensland Government by Queensland Health.
In addition to presenting the modified ‘Waterlow’, the opportunity has been taken to revise, expand and update all other areas of the Manual, with the addition of many diagrams.
The updated Manual, as the original, which had been produced in response to all the questions the author had been asked over the years, is still produced as a simple guide to help readers understand the causes of pressure ulcers, and how they may be prevented.
Contains information on
- Causes of pressure ulcers/sores
- How the Waterlow system should be used
- How the risk factors can influence pressure sore development
- Applicability of Waterlow in all areas of care
- A cost effective approach to preventative aids
- The EPUAP and Stirling (SPSSS) Wound Classification systems
- Management policy issues
- A list of useful references is included.
Staying Professional - Why you should buy this manual
- It is practical, easy to read and understand.
- It has been fully revised
- The factors that can cause pressure sores are discussed.
- It is research based and has 33 references for further reading.
- It has already been tried and tested all over the world.
- Its use will lead to cost effective care.
- It has helped all levels of staff to provide excellent care.
The hard copy of the Manual retails at a price of £10 – and can be obtained by printing off the order form and sending it to Judy.
The digital manual is available for £10, and can be purchased using your credit card through paypal. You are not required to have an existing paypal account to use this method, anybody can purchase.