Sometimes all that’s needed is a little scarf to show off that wonderful single skein of fingering weight yarn. Combine it with easy to remember shaping and easily adjusted sizing, and we have a definite winner! It doesn’t hurt either that the loopy i-cord bind off is perfect for using up odds and ends.
Whiskey on the Rocks is an asymmetrical triangle or “boomerang” shawl worked sideways on the bias in one piece. The instructions for the body with the eyelet patterning are provided both charted and written out.Skills required
Whiskey on the Rocks is a boomerang shaped shawl knit sideways, and includes an i-cord based bind off. Stitches used include knit, purl, k2tog, k4tog, yo, and make 1 with a backward loop. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.Sizes and measurements
One size – finished dimensions: 186 cm (73 ¼ inches) along the upper edge and a depth of 60 cm (23 ½ inches), measured after blocking.
Change the size of the shawl by using heavier or lighter weight yarn and/or working fewer (or more) repeats of the body. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.Pattern details
- Worked sideways on the bias
- Written for a gauge of 15 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over body patterning, measured after blocking.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
- Yarn: MC: 384 m (420 yds) / 100 g Tosh Merino Light by Madeline Tosh (100% merino; 384 m (420 yds) / 100 g) in “Whiskey barrel”, and CC: 56 m (61 yds) / 15 g ONION knit Nettle Sock (70% wool, 30% cellulose; 185 m (202 yds) / 50 g) in Oker. Substitute any single-ply type fingering weight yarn for the MC and any solid colored yarn for the CC for a similar result.
- Size 4 mm (US 6) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles for the body of the shawl.
- Size 3.5 mm (US 4) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles for the i-cord bind off.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch markers (optional, for use between repeats of the lace patterning).