ART - SAILING PAST PETER ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE, NS
Grand Passage runs between the northern end of Brier Island and the southern end of Long Island, two islands that extend south from the southern end of Digby Neck. Brier Island Lighthouse was completed on the southwest side of Brier Island in 1809 to mark the area, but in 1843 Elisha Payson and other inhabitants of the community of Westport on Brier Island began petitioning the government of Nova Scotia for a lighthouse at the southern entrance to Grand Passage. No precise location was mentioned in the petitions presented in 1843 and 1844, but a petition in 1846 recommended that the light be placed on tiny Peter Island, just offshore from Westport.
More information is available at: https://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp which is included in the download.