How to be Happy - Lessons in Digital Literacy
This lesson is based on an infographic about happiness and the factors that affect our happiness. In the lesson, students will explore their views of what makes them happy and discover some of the science behind what happiness is and the factors that create and affect it.
You can see a demo copy of the student's materials here: https://bit.ly/2Pj3oaQ
- To develop students’ abilities to study and research effectively using digital tools.
- To develop students’ abilities to read and understand visual information.
- To develop students’ abilities to check the credibility of online information.
- To develop students’ abilities to carry out online research and to represent their findings visually.
- To develop students’ abilities to extract information from research and create informative text based on their findings.
The materials in this plan can be used in different ways. The first four tasks can be used independently as a simple reading and discussion lesson. The final five tasks can be used selectively depending on the aims of your lesson.
This lesson contains nine tasks:
- A discussion task which gets students thinking about the topic.
- A reading task which develops students’ abilities to check information.
- A reading task which encourages students to look more carefully at the information.
- A discussion task which gives students the opportunity to formulate a personal response to the information they have studied.
- A research task which gets students to check and explore the authenticity of sources.
- A research task which gets students to check the validity of the information in the infographic.
- A research task which gets students to find out more about Maslow and the hierarchy of needs.
- A social research task which gets students to create an online questionnaire to research happiness.
- A writing task which gives students the opportunity to consolidate their learning in the form of a magazine article.
The download includes:
- Step by step lesson plan with links to digital teacher and student copy
- Photocopiable worksheets