Summer Rain - Shawl Pattern PDF
Get this pattern for FREE when you purchase a kit from Under the Olive Tree Knits. Click HERE for more details.
Originally published in The Knitter Magazine (issue 139), the Summer Rain Shawl was inspired by fresh raindrops glistening in the outbreak of the sun.
The pretty crescent shaped shawl is worked in two sections. The top section is worked first, from the top down and knitting in garter stitch to create a soft and textured body. The border section is then worked from the bottom up, starting with the vertical lines of beads and yarnover lace.
A contrast colour yarn is joined to work the raindrop motif section incorporating subtle beads that twinkle throughout. The 2 sections are then grafted together at the end.
Summer Rain Shawl kits are available for this pattern from www.undertheolivetreeknits.com
Skills / Techniques Used – Knit, purl, increases, decreases, lace stitches, beadwork
Sizes – One size
Measurements – The finished blocked item measures 82” (208cm) wingspan and 20” (50cm) depth
- Yarn A (Cream) - 3.5 oz / 100g, 440yd / 400m 4 ply or fingering weight yarn. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree, 100% Superwash Merino, in the Bunny Tails colour (1 skein)
- Yarn B (Blue) - 3.5 oz / 100g, 440yd / 400m 4 ply or fingering weight yarn. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree, 100% Superwash Merino, in the Seafoam colour (1 skein)
- 2 x US size 5 (3.75mm) 32” (80cm) circular needles
- 23 x stitch markers (optional for if you want to mark off the lace repeats)
- 477 size 6 knitting beads. The beads used in the pattern are Debbie Abrahams size 6 beads, colour 42
- 0.75mm crochet hook for adding the beads
- 1 tapestry needle for weaving in the ends