Across the Valley - Shawl Pattern PDF
Get this pattern for free when you buy a kit for the Across the Valley shawl
Across the Valley was inspired by the view from my favourite place in Greece which overlooks a deep, lush valley. It’s a large asymmetric triangular shawl which combines sections of cozy slipped stitches with a deep border of elegant lace.
Starting at the tip in the body colour, the shawl begins to take shape with a simple slipped stitch pattern. Easy to remember and full of texture, once you find your stride with the sequence of stitches the section grows quickly.
Next come the bold colourful stripes. Here you will blend the two larger sections using a contrast colour and create statement stripes that alternate with the border lace colour. These stripes continue the same familiar slipped stitch pattern that you have been working, but by adding in the new colours the stitches take on a whole new vista, tessellating together like the tiled rooftops of the houses below.
As you lower your gaze, the patterned slipped stitches break away into an elegant, airy lace pattern. Using just a handful of lace stitches, the pattern forms like leafy treetops, with eyelets letting the sunlight creep through. Once you reach the borders edge, the easy repeats make it easy to keep going for as long as your yarn will allow. Once finished, all that’s left for you to do is sit back admire the view of your lovely new shawl!
Due to the repeat sections, stitch counts are not given in the instructions. Please use the handy stitch count checklist from pages 8-11 to keep track of the repeat sections and stitch counts for each row.
Stitches Used – Sl1 wyif, sl1 wyib, knit, purl, kfb, k2tog, yo, ssk, sl2tog-k1-psso
Sizes – One size
Measurements – The finished, blocked item has a wingspan of 100” (250cm) and a depth of 22” (56cm)
- Yarn A – Slipped Stitch Pattern – 437yd / 400m, 3.5 oz / 100g 4 ply, sock or fingering weight yarn. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree Knits Milia Merino yarn, 100% Superwash Merino in the Biscuit colour
- Yarn B – Slipped Stitch Stripes – 87yd / 80m, 0.7 oz / 20g 4 ply, sock or fingering weight yarn. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree Knits Chora Mini-Skein yarn, 75% Superwash Merino / 25% Nylon in the Espresso colour
- Yarn C – Slipped Stitch Stripes and Lace Border – 437yd / 400m, 3.5 oz / 100g 4 ply, sock or fingering weight yarn. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree Knits Milia Merino yarn, 100% Superwash Merino in the Red Squirrel colour
- US size 5 (3.75mm) 32” (80cm) circular needle
- A tapestry needle for weaving in the ends
Gauge: 22 stitches and 33 rows to 4” (10cm) in stockinette stitch after blocking